What is Blockchain?
- Definition – learn what a Blockchain is and how it works
- What Problem does Blockchain solve? Learn the impact on back-office systems.
- Learn the characteristics of a Public Blockchain
- Learn the characteristics of a Private Blockchain
- Advantages of Blockchain
How do Blockchains work?
- Hashing and how it works with Blockchain.
- Find out about SHA256 hashing algorithm.
- What are Blocks?
- What makes a Blockchain?
- Learn how blocks are linked together and how they interact with each other in a Blockchain.
- How does the distributed network protect Blockchains?
- Using a distributed ledger and the power of a network of users gives advantages to the system never before available in computing.
- How are Tokens represented in Blockchain?
- Where does application data fit into a block?
- What role does the Merkle Root and Merkle Tree play in Blockchain?
Identity & Transactions
- Digital Signature Definition
- Learn the differences and relationship between Signature (private) and Verification (public) Keys
- Understand the process flow of how keys are created and then used in the system to identify participants in a transaction
- Learn the benefits of Digital Signatures
- 5. Follow the process for creating an example [Bitcoin] transaction on a blockchain
- What are the two general Consensus approaches?
- What are the four Elements of Consensus?
- What four competing objectives cause the need for different Consensus approaches?
- Learn how Proof of Work (PoW) works
- How is consensus gained in PoW?
- Learn how side branches happen and how to measure the longest branch.
Smart Contracts and Oracles
- What are Smart Contracts?
- Paper contract vs. Smart Contract comparison
- What is an Oracle and why do Smart Contracts need them?
- Learn what are the different kinds of Oracles and how do they work?
- Learn the process flow of how Smart Contracts work
Sample Applications and the Future of Blockchains
- Review an accounting use case and see this example with and without a Blockchain and note how these types of applications are impacted by Blockchain
- Review a provenance use case and see this example with and without a Blockchain and note how these types of applications are impacted by Blockchain
- Review a data notary use case and see this example with and without a Blockchain and note how these types of applications are impacted by Blockchain
- Review a Internet of Things (IOT) use case and note how these types of applications are impacted by Blockchain. [includes video]
- Understand how Blockchain impacts identity with the Internet of Things.
Blockchain Governance and Organizational Impact
- Changing role of the CIO
- Learn the different Governance approaches for managing a Blockchain environment
- Understand the Blockchain “Technology Stack” and the component parts
- Dealing with the “Network Effect”
- Consider a skunk-works project – NOW!